Established June 30, 1954
On June 30, 1954, Bishop Joseph H. Albers of the Diocese of Lansing established the parish of SS. Charles & Helena. The parish was given the name SS. Charles & Helena by Mary Hughes Mann, who was the primary benefactor of that era.
Father Frederick Horton was assigned to the parish and became the founding pastor. At that time there were 115 families registered in the parish. On September 19, 1954, the ground was broken for the new church, and the cornerstone was blessed on November 14, 1954. The first Mass was celebrated in the new church on June 12, 1955.
Under the leadership of Father C. Robert Stockwell, a parish center was constructed in 1973. The dedication of the center was held on October 15, 1973. The building is named Father C. Robert Stockwell Parish Center in honor of Father Stockwell, who was pastor for 20 years. In September, 1981, the church was updated and completed in time for the parish to celebrate the church’s 25th Jubilee.
As the needs of this growing parish increased, it became clear that the present church needed extensive renovation. Under the direction of Father Jerry Ploof, the Journey to Change Committee was formed to represent the various ages and groups within the parish. The groundbreaking took place on January 27, 2002, and the renovation concluded with the special Church Dedication liturgy on November 24, 2002. This renovation also included an addition to the parish center, consisting of six new classrooms, a library, and a conference room.
A three day 50th Anniversary Celebration was held the weekend of June 25-27, 2004. A 50’s Sock Hop was held on Friday evening, and a special Mass was celebrated on Saturday evening, followed by a reception in the parish center. On Sunday, parishioners enjoyed a family picnic.
A Mortgage Burning Celebration was held on April 25, 2009, in thanksgiving for the final payment on the debt assumed for the 2002 renovation. The celebration was attended by our newly appointed Bishop Earl Boyea.